Some excerpts from my vita are below. Please email me for the most current, complete version.
I can be reached at: meryl.depasquale at gmail.com
Core Certificate in Book Arts 2014, Minnesota Center for Book Arts
M.F.A. 2010, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
Thesis: Flash Politics (Poetry)
B.A. 2005, Central Connecticut State University
English Major, Creative Writing Minor
Adjunct Instructor, Front Range Community College, Larimer County, CO, Spring 2015 – Fall 2015.
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
Adjunct Instructor, St. Catherine University, Fall 2011 – January 2014.
- Human Experience in Literature
- Writing with Power, Purpose, and the Perfect Word
- The Reflective Woman
- Writing for Life
Adjunct Instructor, Concordia University, Spring 2011 – Spring 2014.
- Introduction to College Writing
- Introduction to Literature
- College Writing
Teaching Artist, Loft Literary Center, December 2012.
- Go Long With Your Poetry!
Summer Youth Teaching Artist, Loft Literary Center, 2009 – 2012.
- Manga: Life Lessons
- Manga: Humor
- Paper, Pencil, Paintbrush
- Animal Songs and Stories
- Indulging Your Alter Ego
- Writing Monstrosity
- Writing the College Application Essay
Graduate Assistant, University of Minnesota, Fall 2007 – Spring 2010.
- Multicultural Literature
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Poetry Writing (stand-alone)
- Intermediate Poetry Writing (stand-alone)
Editorial & Arts Organization Experience:
Class Coordinator, Northern Colorado Writers, January – June 2015.
Arranged workshops to be led by local writers, including: instructors, topics, timing, logistics, & renting spaces to hold class; promoted class offerings; handled student registration & payment; assisted teaching writer at workshop.
- Editing Your Own Work with Molly McCowan
- Avoid a Flabby Middle in Your Novel with Laura Pritchett
- Bad Guys / Big Hearts with Benjamin Whitmer
- The Art of the Personal Essay with Laura Pritchett
- Writing for Magazines with Rachel Zurer
Assistant Editor, Wolverine Farm Publishing, Fort Collins, CO March-December 2014.
Participated in discussions with readers and director Todd Simmons, evaluating and selecting poetry and nonfiction submissions for Matter Journal. Organized submissions; corresponded with writers about final decisions. Edited accepted poems, essays, and short biographical notes from writers.
Contest Reader, Backwaters Prize, The Backwaters Press, Summer 2014.
Read and ranked book-length poetry manuscripts under the direction of editor Jim Cihlar. Helped select 13 semifinalists to send to judge Patricia Smith.
Poetry Editor, Midway Journal, Winter 2011 – Summer 2012.
Read submissions and selected poems for each issue (essays and art on occasion), edited accepted pieces, solicited submissions, designed promotional materials, organized and promoted a contest, planned for update and redesign of website.
Editorial Intern, Milkweed Editions, Summer 2008.
Fact-checked Dan Beachy-Quick’s Whaler’s Dictionary, solicited donations for silent auction portion of fundraising ball, read and responded to MS submissions, performed minor editing on accepted poetry and nonfiction manuscripts.
Editorial Assistant, Ravi Shankar, Spring 2006 – Summer 2007.
Corresponded with contributors to Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond (Norton, 2008). Compiled and edited contributor biographies and country identification information.
Dream of a Perfect Interface, Dancing Girl Press, August 2013.
reviewed by Emily Anderson in Bad Entertainment
featured in the participatory public art project Floating Library
HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR POEMS IN LITERARY JOURNALS, AND IF YOU SHOULD: One Squirrel's Perspective
Wolverine Farm Publishing, March 2015
- “Animal Feed,” Interim Magazine, July 2014.
- "What's the Hickest Thing You've Seen So Far?" and "Jaws: A Parable" Konundrum Engine Literary Review, July 2014.
- “Animal Feed,” Interim Magazine, July 2014.
- “Nest Egg,” The Adroit Journal, June 2014.
- “When Her Robe is Unfurled She Will Show You the World” The Offending Adam, December 2013.
- “Unrest,” Tarpaulin Sky Literary Journal, October 2014.
- “Fighting Tablets” Paper Darts, October 2013.
- “Skin: A Haunting” Konundrum Engine Literary Review, September 2013.
- “On Parting” (reprint), Sudden Prose, May 2013.
- “Dearest J,” Interim Magazine, Vol 30 #1 & 2 May 2013.
- “Beige,” DIAGRAM, Vol 13 #2 April 2013.
- “On Parting” and “Supine,” Handsome Journal, Vol 5 #1 March 2013.
- “Pillow Talk,” Poetry City, USA Vol 2. (The Great Twin Cities Poetry Read anthology) Lowbrow Press, 2012.
- “Dream of a Perfect Interface," esque magazine REVOLUTIONESQUE issue, Naropa section, Winter 2011.
- “No Use” and “All You Can Eat,” Midway Journal Vol. 3 #3 March 2009.
Prose on Poetry Publications:
“Holding Contradictions” (review of what’s pink & shiny / what’s dark & hard by Sarah B Boyle) The Hairsplitter, December 2015.
“Poet Kristin Abraham on Her New book The Disappearing Cowboy Trick” (interview) The Fort Collins Courier, September 2014.
“The Poem as Container” (craft essay) Konundrum Engine Literary Review, July 2014.
blurb written for Gregg Murray’s Ceviche, Spittoon Press, 2014.
“By Myself” (review of By Myself: An Autobiography by DA Powell and DavidTrinidad) American Poetry Journal Vol. 10. 2011.
Miscellaneous Prose Publications:
- “A Cow Named Mouse” (profile) The Fort Collins Courier, December 2014.
- “How to Make a Mini Book” (tutorial) The Fort Collins Courier, September 2014.
- “Writing in Service: A Project with Catholic Charities” (article) Community Work and Learning newsletter, May 2013.
- “Butt-Antlers and Ignorant Suburban Trash” (personal essay) CT Review Vol. 28 #1 Spring 2006.
- “First Signs of Hunger” (poem, Caldera Poetry Collective), Delirious Hem, Fitness Forum, December 2014.
- Semifinalist, Grazing Grain Press (chapbook manuscript, Caldera Poetry Collective), Kept Ghosts: A Choral Aubade, 2014.
- Honorable Mention, Hyacinth Girl Press (chapbook manuscript, Caldera Poetry Collective), Kept Ghosts: A Choral Aubade, 2014.
- “Gameboys Advanced” (poem, exquisite corpse in Naropa workshop), esque magazine REVOLUTIONESQUE issue, Naropa section, Winter 2011.
Book Arts Group Exhibitions:
“The Printed Page,” Abecedarian Gallery
Denver, CO, February 21 – April 5, 2014.
“Parts of a Whole,” Minnesota Center for Book Arts
Minneapolis, MN, August 16 – October 20, 2013.
“Changing Places: Interpreting Locality,”
Mezzanine Gallery Honolulu Museum of Art School
Honolulu, Hawaii, August 12-25, 2013.
“MCBA/Jerome Foundation Book Arts Mentorship Series III,”
Minnesota Center for Book Arts
Minneapolis, MN, November 4, 2011 – January 24, 2012.
Awards / Honors:
- Semifinalist, Akron Poetry Prize, University of Akron, for poetry manuscript Shadows Across Skin, 2013.
- Finalist, Lena-Miles Wever Todd Poetry Book Prize, Pleiades: A Journal of New Writing, for poetry manuscript Shadows Across Skin, 2013.
- Mentee, Book Arts Mentorship Program, Minnesota Center for Book Arts / Jerome Foundation, 2010-2011.
- Grantee, Artist Initiative, Minnesota State Arts Board, 2010.
- Recipient, O'Rourke Fellowship for Travel, University of Minnesota, 2010.
- Poetry Finalist, Loft Mentor Series Competition, 2009 and 2010.
- Winner, Connecticut State University System Essay Award, 2006.
Residencies / Retreats:
- Brush Creek Arts, Saratoga, WY, Jan 5 – Jan 20, 2015.
- Prairie Center of the Arts, Peoria, IL, May 19 – June 15, 2013.
- Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, Nebraska City, NE, July 9-27, 2012.
- Soul Mountain Retreat, East Haddam, CT, October 8-21, 2006.
Conferences and Workshops:
- Presenter and Facilitator, "How to Publish Your Poems, and If You Should" and "Poetry Critique Session," Northern Colorado Writers Conference, March 27-28, 2015.
- Participant, The Colrain Poetry Manuscript Conference with Jeff Shotts and Rusty Morrison, Whitby Island, WA, June 6-9, 2014.
- Panel Moderator, “Why Can’t We Be Friends?: Book Arts in the Digital Age” Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Seattle, WA, February 27, 2014.
- Panel Moderator, “Handling Words: Book Arts and the Creative Process,” Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Seattle, WA, March 1, 2014.
- Student, Staying True: Authenticity & Voice with Ada Limón, Fine Arts Work Center, Pearl Street (online), January 6 – March 7, 2014.
- Panel Moderator, “Get Ahold of Your Writing: Book Arts in the Classroom,” Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Boston, MA, March 8, 2013.
- Book fair exhibitor for Midway Journal table, Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Chicago, IL, February 29 – March 3, 2012.
- Student, Poems in Hiding: A Revision Workshop with Carl Phillips, Fine Arts Work Center Summer Program, Providence, MA, August 7-12, 2011.
- Noncredit Student, Amy King & Ana Bozicevic – The Trans Cyborg, The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics, Naropa University Summer Writing Program, Boulder, CO, June 13-19, 2011.
- Attendee, Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Washington DC February 2-5 2011.
- Contributor in Poetry, Carl Phillips’ Workshop, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, August 11-20, 2010.